Bicycle Kingdom . com
Home
Reserve Bicycle
Bikes&Rates
Why bicycle
BBS/Forum
Locations
About us
Contact us
  Bike Rental
Tel: (86)133-8140-0738(Biligual)
We deliver nice bicycles to hotels,appointed place.Or pick up at Oriental Plaza.
 
Guangzhou Overview
Guangzhou History
Guangzhou Facts
Guangzhou Meto Map
Dining in Guangzhou
Shoppings in Guangzhou
Canton Fair
Guangzhou Attractions
  Ancestral Temple of the Chen Family
  Shamian Island
 

South China Botanic Garden

  The Six Banyan Temple and Flower Pagoda
  Temple of Southern Sea God
  Western Han Nanyue King Tomb Museum
The Great Mosque of Guangzhou

 

 

 

 

Temple of Southern Sea God

Situated at Miaotou, Huangpu district of Guangzhou City, covering an area of more than 30,000 square meters, the 1410-year-old Temple of Southern Sea God (also called Pine Apple Temple, or Nai Hai Shen Miao in Chinese) is the only one left from the four ancient Sea God Temples of China, and an important site that has witnessed the history of ancient Maritime Silk Road in ancient China. 

There was once a wharf in front of the temple when it was first established in 594 by the order of the emperor Wen of Sui Dynasty (who started a major extension of China's canal network). Hence, the temple was the right place for the crew of all ships, Chinese and foreign, to pray for safety and smooth sailing before going to sea from there, the starting point of the ancient Maritime Silk Road leading to South-east Asia, West Asia and East Africa. In the Ming and the Qing Dynasties (1368-1 911A.D.), the Road reached as far as Europe and America. Besides these nongovernmental prayer meetings, since its completion, sacrificial ceremonies to worship the Southern Sea God had been held yearly in the temple presided over by officials appointed by the emperors. 

Many precious stone tablets about the overseas trade via Marine Silk Road and the history of Guangzhou are well preserved in the temple. One of the temple's main attractions is a stone tablet over the gateway. Its inscription represented the strong desire of many ancient seamen - 'Not a wave roaring in the sea'. Other relics in the temple include a bronze drum of the East Han Dynasty (25-220A.D.), an iron bell of the Ming Dynasty and the carved jade seal of the Southern Sea God. Old trees of rare species like kapok make the temple more attractive. 

The Temple was expanded and renovated several times since the Tang Dynasty (618-907A.D.). There are five parts in the temple: the Gate, the Ceremony Gate, Protocol Pavilion, Grand Hall and Rear Hall. On the both sides of the Ceremony Gate are two corridors. From of the Grand Hall are the East and the West Corridor. They were all rebuilt since the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911A.D.).

About us | Investor Relations | Site Map| Chinese| Link to us
Bicycle Kingdom Rentals & Tours Inc.

Address: B428 North Garden Office, Oriental Plaza, 218 Wangfujing Avenue, Beijing

(North Garden Hotel Entrance next to Wangfujing Book Store)
Tel: (+86) 133-8140-0738 (Bilingual), (+8610)6522-9478;
Copyright© 2005-2007, www.BicycleKingdom.com Bike Rentals & Bicycling Tours.